Saturday, November 23, 2013

Sautéed Brussels sprouts with lemon, garlic and cheese

Sautéed Brussels sprouts with lemon, garlic and cheese / Praetud rooskapsad küüslaugu, sidruni ja juustuga

While I'm trying to decide what to do with the bag of lovely and fresh Brussels sprouts that I bought from my local Farmers Market, it's time to post the first ever Brussels sprout recipe here on Nami-Nami. This on-the-hob method of preparing Brussels sprouts has been tested in our kitchen few times already, and it's really quick and rather effortless. Although I have a feeling that the next batch of Brussels sprouts (called rooskapsas or "rose cabbage" in Estonian :)) will be roasted in the oven and seasoned with some crispy bacon, then it's good to have a pan-fry and vegetarian method in the recipe archives as well.

So here we go.

Sautéed Brussels sprouts with lemon, garlic and cheese
(Rooskapsad sidruni ja küüslauguga)
Serves 4 to 6

1 kg Brussels sprouts (about 2 pounds)
4 Tbsp olive oil
3-4 garlic cloves
1 lemon, juiced and zested
salt and freshly ground black pepper
a few Tbsp grated hard cheese (Parmesan or something similar)

Clean the sprouts - trim the root end and remove the floppy outer leaves, if necessary. Halve or quarter the Brussels sprouts, depending on their size.

Heat oil in a large heavy frying pan. Add the prepared sprouts and fry gently for 7-10 minutes, tossing every now and then, until they're soft and caramelised and lovely golden brown all round. Few minutes before reaching that stage add the chopped garlic to the pan as well.

Season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice and zest. Heat for another 1-2 minutes, then taste again for seasoning.

Sprinkle with grated hard cheese, and serve immediately.

8 comments:

Southhamsdarling said...

Sounds a really tasty way to cook Brussel sprouts! I shall definitely be trying this out ��

Ben said...

This does sound good. I love sprouts (so long as they are well prepared). I often blanch them and add them at the end of a preparation of pan-fried bacon, potatoes and garlic. I'm thinking of adding chestnuts to the mix, too (but without the garlic, then).

Stacy Deason said...

Looks so delicious.. I am feeling hungry just looking at the photograph! Opps!!

I have to try this recipe soon. Thanks for this wonderful recipe. In fact I can even try this recipe in thanksgiving :)

foodonia.com said...

Looks great and tasty
Thank you very much

Unknown said...

Nice Blog... Best Indian restaurants in Manchester

BavarianSojourn said...

Hello! I just wanted to let you know that your sprouts have been featured over at this month's BritMums Foodie Round up! :)

AG said...

Yes, put the cranberry sauce in with the stuffing! :) You're an absolute legend; that is pure genius! I followed you here from the Christmas Foodie roundup on BritMums. I’d like to invite you to come link up with me at my link party this week for food and recipe posts. The party appears on 10 blogs and I pin EVERY post that is shared! We’d love to have you! You can find this week’s party on my blog. http://anyonitanibbles.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/free-blog-advertising.html

Unknown said...

I've been looking for something like this. Thanks for this recipe!
Jinhyo Kwak